BrighterBox: Candidate Privacy Notice
1. What is the purpose of this notice?
BrighterBox is a specialist graduate recruitment agency. You have been supplied with a copy of this privacy notice because you are applying for work with us (whether as an employee, worker or contractor) or you have asked us to help you find a placement. For us to carry out our business purposes, we need to collect some personal information about you. This means we are the "data controller"- we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use your personal information. This policy will inform you of how and why your personal data will be used, and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).
2. Data protection principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
• Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
• Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
• Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
• Accurate and kept up to date.
• Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about
• Kept securely
3. The kind of information we hold about you
We will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information
• Your name and contact details (i.e. address, home and mobile phone numbers, email address);
• Details of your qualifications, experience, employment history (including job titles, salary and working hours) and interests, languages spoken
• Details of your referees;
• Any other information you have provided to us in your CV and covering letter.
• Any further information we obtain from professional profiles available in the public domain such as LinkedIn
• We will only collect sensitive personal data about you when absolutely necessary for the recruitment process. We will only process this data if you have given your consent for us to do so.
4. How is your personal information collected?
We collect personal information about candidates from the following sources:
• You, the candidate; and
• Your named referees, from whom we collect the following categories of data: job title, dates worked, a reference.
5. How we will use information about you
We will use the personal information we collect about you to:
• Assess your skills, qualifications, and suitability for a role.
• Carry out reference checks, where applicable.
• Communicate with you about the recruitment process.
• Keep records related to our hiring processes.
• Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
It is in our legitimate interests to decide whether to appoint you to a role since it would be beneficial to our business to appoint someone to that role.
We also need to process your personal information to decide whether to enter into a contract with you. We seek to ensure that our information collection and processing is always proportionate. We will notify you of any changes to information we collect or to the purposes for which we collect and process it.
Having received your CV and your application form, we will then process that information to decide whether you meet the basic requirements to be shortlisted for the role. If you do, we will decide whether your application is strong enough to invite you for an interview. If we decide to call you for an interview, we will use the information you provide to us at the interview to decide whether to offer you the role or where applicable whether to put you forward for a role with a client. If we decide to offer you the role, we will then take up references confirming your appointment, where applicable.
6. If you fail to provide personal information
If you fail to provide information when requested, which is necessary for us to consider your application (such as evidence of qualifications or work history), we will not be able to process your application successfully. For example, if we require references for this role and you fail to provide us with relevant details, we will not be able to take your application further.
7. Information about criminal convictions
We do not envisage that we will process information about criminal convictions.
8. Automated decision-making
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
9. Data sharing
Why might you share my personal information with third parties?
We will only share your personal information with the following third parties for the purposes of processing your application: our clients who have a position to fill, in order to determine with the client whether you are a good fit for the available position; our employees; suppliers, contractors and agents who perform services for BrighterBox such as: professional advisors (accountants or lawyers); IT software and service companies, payroll and other financial service providers) All our third-party service providers and other entities in the group are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your personal information in line with our policies. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
10. Data security
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need-to-know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality. Details of these measures may be obtained from our data officer on email@example.com.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
11. Data retention
How long will you use my information for?
BrighterBox will keep your personal data for as long as we deem necessary to provide the recruitment service to you (or such other service) and for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, regulatory or reporting requirements.
12. Rights of access, correction, erasure, and restriction
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
• Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
• Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
• Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
• Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
• Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
• Request the transfer of your personal information to another party. If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact our data protection officer in writing.
• Right to withdraw consent When you registered with us, you provided consent to us processing your personal information for the purposes of the recruitment exercise. You have the right to withdraw your consent for processing for that purpose at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your applications and, subject to our retention policy, we will dispose of your personal data securely.
13. For more information
Our Head of Privacy is responsible for overseeing compliance with this privacy notice. If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact email@example.com. You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.